In these uncertain times, the best way to protect yourself against germs is by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Washing your hands is also one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of many types of infection and illness in all settings, from the home and workplace to childcare facilities and hospitals. Clean hands can stop germs from spreading from one person to another and throughout an entire community.
Here is how to wash your hands properly:
- Wash your hands with lukewarm water to prevent swelling and stripping of oils.
- Wet hands first with water, then apply the amount of product recommended by the manufacturer.
- Liquid, bar, leaflet or powdered forms of plain soap are acceptable with a non-antimicrobial soap and water.
- Rub hands together vigorously, covering all the surfaces of the hands and fingers. Total hand washing time should be at least 20 seconds but should not exceed 1 minute.
- Finally, rinse hands with water and dry thoroughly with a disposable towel. Use a towel to turn off faucet.
- Multi-use cloth towels of the hanging or roll type are not recommended for use in healthcare settings.
We know that handwashing is important, but that doesn’t mean that we should stop educating ourselves and those around us. These days, many people use hand sanitizers and other methods to clean their hands. And, while those measures are still effective, nothing beats classic handwashing.
Be sure to dedicate time within working hours to educate employees in your medical facility and train them in proper handwashing techniques. Open a conversation with them and let them ask any questions they may have.
According to the CDC, handwashing education reduces respiratory illnesses, diarrheal illnesses, and absenteeism due to gastrointestinal illness in schoolchildren. Therefore, once you educate your staff, they can then educate their patients.
Unitex is Here for Your Medical Facility
Unitex understands the importance of handwashing, and we’re here to provide your medical facility with the right tools for the job. Not only do we offer quality products to help you keep your medical facility clean, but we also can provide proper training seminars on how to successfully make sure your business is sterile and safe.